Homi Bhabha Online Test Series
Homi Bhabha Online Test series are conducted to prepare the students for Dr. Homi Bhabha Balvaidnyanik Competition which is organized by MSTA i.e. the Mumbai Science Teachers’ Association every year since 1981. The aim of holding such an exam is to encourage the students to adopt a scientific approach, build their scientific acumen find young scientists.
Eligibility for Homi Bhabha Exam
Only those students who are in class 6th
and class 9th
and are studying in an English Medium or Marathi Medium School can sit in the exam.
Structure of Homi Bhabha Exam
The competition is held in three different stages. In every stage few students who make to the merit list are screened to sit in the next stage.
||Class VIth and Class IXth
||Written test (100 MCQs based on science aptitude)
||5 Experiments on general science
|Biology: 10 questions based on specimens provided
|Evaluation of action research project
The Selection Procedure:
The top 7.5% students of the total candidates who sit in the phase I of the exam are selected for the second round of the exam i.e. Phase II.
Thereafter top 10% of the students are selected from the merit list of Phase II for the next stage i.e. Phase III. The merit list is created by taking out an aggregate of 30% marks obtained in Phase I and the marks obtained in Phase II.
The final list of students is created by taking out an aggregate of 30% marks of Phase I and that obtained in Phase II and Phase III examinations. Of the list created, top 10% students receive Gold medal and a certificate along with Rs. 3000 scholarship. The Next 60% students receive a certificate with Silver Medal and a scholarship of Rs. 2000. All the remaining students get Bronze medal with a certificate and Rs.1000 as scholarship.
The fee of the examination for each student is Rs. 210. Late fee amounts to Rs. 250.
Out of the total fee collected from each student, the school will deposit Rs. 200 in the account of Greater Bombay Science Teachers Association from any of the branches of the State Bank of India and keep the rest with it as the processing fee for the examination. Challan required for depositing the fee can be downloaded from the official website of MSTA: www.msta,in
Registration for Homi Bhabha Exam
One can register for the examination online as well as offline. Those students who wish to sit in the exam can do so by contacting the school authorities as the registration can be done by the school only. The medium for the exam (Marathi or English) can be selected at the time of registration and no changes can be made later. All the papers of the exam will be conducted in the same medium as provided by the student.
For a student to sit in the exam his/her school should be registered with MSTA. Following is the registration procedure that the school should follow:
- Open the official website of MSTA: msta.in
- Thereafter one should open the link “Apply Online”
- Next click on the option “New School Registration”
- The registration form will open up. Furnish the necessary details carefully.
- After filling in all the details, click on submit.
- Once registered, the school will get its login ID and Password on its e-mail account along with a text message on a mobile number the details of which are furnished in the registration form.
- All the students of the school appearing for the exam will have the same ID and password as that of the school.
- Thereafter, the school needs to provide the details of the students appearing in the examination in a format as stated by MSTA.
If the school is already registered then it can use its previous ID and password to make new updates and need not register again every year.
Before registering its students for the examination, the school should deposit the examination fee in the account of MSTA and thereafter follow the following procedure for registering each student.
- First, open the official website of MSTA: msta.in.
- One the website opens, enter the school login ID and password
- Next click on the option “add fee” and fill in all the details.
- You would be required to upload a scanned copy of the fee receipt (challan). After uploading it click on submit.
- Thereafter “Add student” link will appear on the website. Click on it and add the details of the student.
- If several students are there you can get them registered all together by clicking on “Bulk Registration”.
- As you click on the option Bulk Registration, a link to download a template will appear. Download the template by choosing the link.
- Save the template and log out from the website
- Thereafter fill in the details of the students in the template and save it.
- Again log on to the MSTA website and click on Bulk Registration and then choose the option of Upload.
- Upload the file from your system
- After the file has been successfully uploaded the list of students will appear on the screen. If there are some changes that need to be made you can do so by using the action buttons.
- Save the list by choosing the save option and take out a print of it for your reference
- After completing the registration, the student list and the scanned copy of fee receipt or the challan has to be e-mailed to the official ID which is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More students can be added by following the same registration procedure
- Once the registration completes, the list of students will be sent on your e-mail ID
Dr. Homi Bhabha Balvaidnyanik Competition not only helps identify the young scientists but also helps motivate the students towards sciences in general. Schools should encourage their students to participate in such competitions that boost their confidence and prepare them for future.